Discussion in 'Amp Building/Technical/Repair' started by RBlakeney, Jan 12, 2020.
I figured this would be a fun way to electrocute myself.
Nice looking work!
That chassis is certainly packed.
Indeed. If not going for authenticity, I'd always reccomend building a Champ/Princeton in a Deluxe sized chassis and cab.
There’s actually a decent amount of room, and much bigger than the champ chassis. I left some wires longer as it was my first time, and I wanted to make sure I didn’t make an irreparable error.
this is the inside of my 57 custom champ.
I agree, the tweed champ is the worst chassis to work in. The Princeton is must better.
You can also take tweed Princeton chassis, make a second 6V6 tube socket hole in it, and build a Harvard.
The only appropriate way to test was through a 412.
And? How did it go?
As an aside, not an important question but I am curious: what drawing were you working from?
It went well. It’s a mojotone kit, so I went with the picture they send, with a few pictures and question sent to my buddy dr Dan when I was confused. I’m starting another one which will likely be a little neater since I have one to work from now.
Nice! And, BONUS: you didn't electrocute yourself!!!
It also didn’t catch on fire, which was a plus. I also didn’t burn myself 75 times like I did building a klone.
Finished the second one. Another plus.
my he second one doesn’t work. Minus.
Check your pin #1 on the 12AX7, make sure you have about 200 volts there, other wise you missed a jumper wire under the board. Easy mistake, I've made it.
Sounds like a tomorrow issue. I’ll likely bring it to dr Dan to set me back on track.
I’m very angry.
Looks good. You may want to consider switchable negative feedback. A great addition to the 5F2A circuit. For good growl at even lower volume.
A while ago I had a crackling noise develop in my 5F2A build. I could see arcing in the 6V6. I found some resistors had broken up. They appeared ok. A chopstick test revealed the problem. I removed them and they came off the board in pieces. Upon replacement and reassembly I had created a new problem somehow. I was scratching my head. I went over everything. I lifted the board too. Not fun. I replaced a few more things. Cleaned up my lead dress further. Blew everything out with compressed air. Thinking a piece of wire strand may have found a home in an inconvenient spot. Nope. 3-4 days worth of evenings, troubleshooting later, I was frustrated. Finally. Eureka. I found the problem. One lead from a resistor somehow was pushed into a wrong eyelet and soldered there. I did it. I caused myself heartburn. I found it. Fixed it and all was well.
Self taught humility and the art of learning to be humble, is much easier when other people are not involved.
For entertainment purposes only, here is what I pulled out:
Separate names with a comma.